Thursday, August 14, 2014

We Never Had A Friend Like You, Robin

I was sitting in the family room, watching Jeopardy with my grandma. My dad was upstairs trying new clothes on and my mom was in the living room discussing vacation plans with a friend. It was a relatively ordinary evening. I had made dinner that night instead of my mother which was a welcomed change but other than that, everything seemed particularly dull. As we watched Jeopardy, a red banner appeared at the bottom of the screen with white letters. At first I thought it was a weather alert but upon reading the text, my mind first jumped to Tracey Morgan who I knew had been in a bad accident a few weeks ago. I assumed this may be an update on his condition. And then my eyes saw the name Robin Williams and my brain slowly registered what I was reading. Robin Williams found dead. Death by suicide, it said.
Perhaps it sounds strange when I say I teared up. I am writing this the day after and still feel choked
up about it. This has never happened to me before. I imagine I am feeling something similar to fans of MJ when he died. I never knew that I could feel a connection of such caliber from a person I never actually met. I know this is a pretty heavy topic to start out with on my new blog but I feel I need to reflect on the impact Robin Williams had on my life because truth be told, he was like a member of my family. My family and I may disagree on many things, but one universal truth in our house is that we are all lovers of Robin Williams. He has entered our household countless times, telling hilarious jokes and moving us to tears from his brilliant performances. Perhaps this is why I feel so sad about his passing. He was more than just an actor. He was a role model, a mentor, and a friend. Only the most brilliant actors are.
Where do I begin? It is hard to find a starting place for this post. I can hardly begin to answer the question, what impact has Robin Williams had on my life? To answer in broad terms, he has introduced me to good comedy. He has demonstrated what it means to be a genuinely good actor. His film range is exceptional and every performance is beautiful and honest and funny and outright special. You will never forget a movie Robin Williams was in.
There are two roles that Robin played that I grew up with and these movies have stayed with me for a long time, and I imagine they will remain with me for the rest of my life. The first has to be the Genie from Aladdin. I grew up watching Disney movies constantly and Aladdin was one my brother and I always popped in to the VHS player. Speaking specifically toward Robin's character, I can't say enough just how much my friends and I quoted him in college. His performance as the Genie encompasses Robin completely...a man of heart and humor. You can't watch the movie without smiling. Aladdin is one of the best Disney movies ever made and part of that is the Genie's character, brought to life by Robin!
The other role which Robin played that was a huge part of my childhood is Daniel Hillard slash Euphegenia Doubtfire. Mrs. Doubtfire was the first PG-13 movie I ever saw, at the age of 9. My younger brother and I, oblivious to the film's dirty humor, cracked up at Daniel's alter ego. From watching her dance with a vacuum to Daniel's hilarious impressions with the social worker, we were hysterical. And it wasn't just us...it was our parents too. Yet the film is not just all laughs. It is about a very serious topic, divorce. Robin does an amazing job at capturing a man who would do anything for his children while also balancing being a big kid himself. The humor is dirty but man, it is fantastic. It is simply an amazing film.
Looking back, there are so many Robin Williams movies that I love and want to briefly reflect on during this blog post. One that doesn't come to most peoples minds is Flubber. That is another movie I grew up with though it never moved me as much as Aladdin or Mrs. Doubtfire. Flubber always cracked us up as kids. We still on it on VHS. Robin had perfect comedic timing and plays a professor who everyone can get behind.
The next movie I want to talk about is Dead Poets Society. Surprisingly I have only seen this movie once. Robin plays another professor though this time he excels in Poetry. This is the kind of film I knew I would love before I watched it, the kind where a teacher swops in and inspires their students to be more, that they are special and can make a difference in the world. His performance is fantastic. It completely exemplifies Robin's message - that you can do and be anything.

The next film is Patch Adams. I saw this when I was in middle school. Like most of Robin's films, it cracked me up (or rather, he cracked me up) and it once again embraces another one of his philosophies on life - that making people happy is essential. His character experiences great personal loss but still manages to bring smile to the world. His character shows that it isn't normalcy that cures or even standing out, it is love. He loves people as they are and meets them where they are.
Now let us talk about Good Will Hunting. This is another movie I have seen only once. I watched it on Netflix a little over a year ago. Again, Williams is a professor and a mentor. I don't have much more to say other than, watch the movie. It is as simple as that. You will thank me for it later.
Now The Bird Cage. This movie never cracked me up until my stomach hurt but the dry humor does make you chuckle quite a bit. It isn't a typical Robin film but I still love it. It just showcases another side to his acting style.

GOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM! I have an interesting story to tell that is directly tied to this movie. In 2009 when my family traveled to Disney World, we rode the Great Movie Ride. At the end there was a brilliant montage that briefly scanned over the great Hollywood films and above Tara's Theme from Gone with the Wind came Robin shouting GOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM and I felt such passion from him at that moment and I hadn't even seen the movie. It is phenomenal! A great portrayal of the damages of war and the humor and love that can exist despite the hardships.
My last mention will seem silly to some but it is another film that was a big part of my childhood. That movie is, Aladdin 3: The King of Thieves. Okay, so we all know Disney sequels usually equate to poop. But there are a few that are genuinely good and this is one of them. Not only is the story easy to get behind but Robin's comedy is top notch. His impressions and references are hysterical and his comedic timing is, you guessed it, brilliant!

He are some honorable mentions to end this blog: Hook, Jumanji, Night at the Museum, License to Wed, and Happy Feet.
The brilliance of being in entertainment is that your memory truly remains alive through the projects you were apart of. I hope to watch many Robin Williams films for the next few weeks. And I am aware of how many times I have used the word brilliant in this post...but seriously, how can I not?
Good-bye Robin. You will be deeply missed. I hope you find peace wherever you have gone. Your creative, awe inspiring, funny, and genuine acting style will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment