Monday, February 2, 2015

Galavant Season 1 Review...or something along those lines

There is a classic emotion that aches in all the hearts of fairytale protagonists. It can overcome fame and fortune and promise happily ever after. That emotion is true love and it is seen most in Disney animated movies and has been carried over into live action pieces such as Once Upon a Time. But Disney knows how to poke fun at themselves; they did it in Enchanted and more subtly in Frozen. And now they have done it again with their new series on ABC, Galavant!
So I wrote this review by discussing the story, music, characters, actors, etc. but I found it very hard to write it all down and when I actually finished, it just seemed like a bunch of annoying words and I didn't feel good about it so now I am writing it all down on the spot so here it goes.
I thought Galavant was just okay. I was expecting a bit more out of the first season but for what it did
provide I will certainly be returning for another season. I first want to comment on the music because that is what stood out above all else. Alan Menken composed the soundtrack and I love Alan Menken so I had a good feeling about it all...but it was just alright. I guess his biggest accomplishment with this soundtrack is that I can't look at a Galavant poster or think of Galavant without singing the title in my head. "Gaaaaaalllaavantttt!" Yep, truth. But at the end of the day, the soundtrack was okay. Which is what most of this show amounted to. Just okay.
The characters are fun but most we have seen before. The story was fairly basic as far as I could tell. Nothing special there. The comedy was good but lacking in some areas where I expected it to be better. They really hyped up this great comedic extravaganza in the commercials on TV and it didn't live completely up to the hype for me. The guest stars were awesome and would be even more awesome had they had more screen time. Seriously, how long was John Stamos on TV? For all their talk of guest stars they hardly had much screen time.
Is it worth watching? Yes. Absolutely. I feel like this is one of those shows that will get better over time. I do like that it doesn't take itself seriously...at all. That makes for good comedy. And the finale left us with a great cliffhanger so you know I will be returning for Season 2. Overall, Galavant's first season isn't great but it's a good start. It is worth watching and I'm excited to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment